ALTA FLORENCIA KICHWA COMMUNITY
Kichwa community Alta Florencia is located in Nuevo Rocafuerte Parish, Aguarico Canton, Orellana Province. It was created in 1997. Currently, its population is 140 inhabitants and its global territory is 5.333 hectares, bordering Yasuní National Park, it has a great tourist potential which is organized by the community tourism center Sacha Ñampi created freely and voluntarily by 25 partners who commit to encourage sustainable and responsible tourism, with the program called Socio Bosque conservación de flora y fauna committed to work on this tourist initiative with the construction of a rustic tourist hotel that at the same time lends all tourist services and activities.
This is a high endemism and faunist production area, with a great tourist potential which must be linked to a sense of conservation and protection of nature. The conservation of biodiversity in areas characterized by great tourist attraction is a challenge that all regions of the world and especially fragile ecosystems and areas adjacent to protected natural areas.
Implementation of good practices related to environmental and social management protects the integrity of ecosystems and local cultures; increases the viability of tourism enterprises by providing financial stability, quality jobs and encouraging the development of local communities. Communities can enjoy healthy environments by conserving ecosystems and natural and cultural resources for these and future generations.
Comunidad Alta Florencia, Nuevo Rocafuerte-Orellana
Phone: +593 0989695878
Phone: +593 0996674318
“Socio Bosque” flora and fauna conservation project
Kichwa Alta Florencia commune in 2015 by agreement with the Ministry of the Environment of Ecuador signs an agreement of 20 years with the objective of conserving flora and fauna of its own territory and a large part of Yasuni National Park, that, through an economic incentive, the community is responsible for monitoring and protecting the flora and fauna, around 2,000 hectares, where Sacha Ñampi performs the tourist operation of flora and fauna and through the visit of foreign and national tourists collaborate with the economic incentives to continue protecting the mother nature of Yasuni.
YASUNI NATIONAL PARK
- Yasuní National Park extends through the river basins Yasuní, Cononaco, Nashiño and Tiputini. It has an elevation range of 300 – 600m., flat areas temporarily flooded, swampy areas, pools and lake resorts called Jatuncocha, Garzacocha and Lagartococha. In addition, it borders Kichwa communities: Alta Florence, Bello Horizonte, Puerto Miranda Boca de Tiputini and Llananchama.
- This area is considered by several biogeographers as a high endemism zone, where species have been preserved since the end of the Pleistocene (between 22 and 13 thousand years before today). This place is important not only for the variety of species but for being centers of speciation and dispersion of living beings.
- The number and variety of vegetables are greater than in any other terrestrial ecosystem of the world. Yasuni forests house the largest number of tree species per hectare in the world, which means, even greater fauna diversity.
- In terms of park fauna, more than 500 bird species have been identified, including Paujil, currently in danger of extinction. In regards to mammals, 173 species have been recorded within the Park, although it is estimated that there are about 200, which means, 57 per cent of all mammals in the country.
- The herpetofauna here is one of the largest worldwide, more than 100 amphibian species have been registered, with 43 tree frog species and a hundred other reptiles, including 62 snake species.
- The Park is considered as one of the reserves with the greatest genetic diversity of the planet, an area of great scientific interest and potentially tourist, as the reserve of the commune Kichwa Alta Florence.
- Inside the park live the Huaorani indigenous nationality and some uncontacted groups such as Tagaeri and Taromenane. For all this it is considered one of the most emblematic Parks in the country and the world.